2 Cup Dehydrated Green Split Peas, Uncooked
8 Cup Water
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Tumeric
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Teaspoon Ginger, Minced
2 Teaspoon Jalapenos, Seeded and Chopped
4 Tablespoon Black Mustard Seeds, Ground
3 Tablespoon Water
3 oz Coconut, Shredded and Sweetened
1 Dab Margarine
Cilantro, Chopped (optional)
*Reconstitute before using.
Follow directions on #10 can to reconstitute.
1. Mix ground mustard with water and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Bring split peas and water to boil. Lower heat to medium. Add bay leaves and tumeric. Simmer, covered, until peas are done (approximately 40-45 minutes). While simmering, stir occasionally. Don't let mixture stick to bottom of pan.
3. When cooked, remove and discard bay leaves. Add salt and keep warm.
4. Heat oil in 6" skillet over medium-low heat. Saute ginger and jalapeno until ginger is lightly brown. (approximately 1-2 minutes). Add mustard paste and cook 1 additional minute. Stirring constantly. Add coconut and stir several times.
5. Pour over pea mixture and stir.
6. Let stand 15 minutes. Add margarine and garnish. if desired.